• Tommie Trichrome
    Hey All,
    Starting up a new grow journal using vertical Led blades. This is another 4x4' tent grow with a 9 plant allot LED system, However this time I am using Sativas. This particular tent is a Blue Dream and Sour Diesel run and I have another grow journal that I will be posting as it develops.All the genetics are DarkHeart and i'm using a sun-hut fortress tent, with advanced nutrients, and a Suncloak Vertical Blade LED system, with a hydroton and coco/soil mix medium.

going to be posting pictures as the journal develops and hopefully will be optimizing my yield and space by trying sativas this run.

Here is my setup so far. The clones have been under t5s for a week and a half since first I first transplanted them from rockwool in ½ gal. containers and now I just transplanted them from those to 7 gal. containers. (Their final container)

(have a oscillating fan to strengthen them up)
    2o79a0ppp1cy6hd2.jpg

(Sour Diesel on the left)
    0awf8jgdsx94donv.jpg

(Blue Dream on the right)
    781fc6octofh0gfp.jpg

(pic. of all the plants in the tent)
    i91vyh8r2knum7bj.jpg

So in this journal what’s different is I’m running sativas and running larger containers. I went from 5 gal pots to 7 gal. and hopefully this with my LED setup will optimize my yields.

Stay posted if interested. I will be updating this forum in real time. If you have any questions, comments or advice I'm eager to chat.
    Attachment
    11-15-2 (295K)
  • pokesmot408
    Dang man, neva seen a vertical system like this. have hung T5's around the perimeter of the grow area, but this is some other level stuff...What keeps them separated in rows like that, just the potting containers? The leaves don't burn when they get crowded and touch the LEDs?

anywayz, cool set up. i'll be watching
  • Tommie Trichrome

There are steel spacers are the top of the power rails that fix the blades in place. they're rigid enough to be strong, yet can be flexed some because the housing for the LEDs has some flex to the metal. the spacers make it so there 16" gap between blades for your rows of plants. Yes, they do get crowded, but then again that's how I am utilizing and maximizing my small area too, which actually proves to yield more for me. And when the branches, and foliage begin to touch the diodes it doesn't have a harmful effect or burning the plants.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    The transplant to 7gal pots really is giving these ladies room to grow. I'm using a mix of advanced nutes/ calMag/ molasses, superthrive and some micro's. I'm also starting with a good, prewashed coco/soil medium, so i think by the time i post these next pictures, they will significantly bigger and you all can judge for yourselves. Any of you LED growers out there what's your experience with LED yields? and how do you do your LED setups?
  • Zanthyr
    2nd time i've seen this sort of set up, but the first time was a indica run with shorter, i think 32" blades. now your doing a sativa run with 48" blades..Hmm wonder if that's gonna yield you any more, seeing how these tend to be heavy yields and the size of your pots. I,'ll watch the show I suppose, if a least for information and research..
  • Zanthyr
    Just one fan for all of veg and flower? well that's all i see in the pic at least...
  • Tommie Trichrome

for now its just that fan. I have a 16" oscillating fan i will switch that square fan out for in a week and then there is also a portable ac unit in the room, but no big, crazy intake/exhausting system really needed because the Suncloak LEDs really don't produce that much heat and the radiant heat is consistent with most ambient room temps (70-80F). So with that said, I have the lights on and the ac on energy saver mode and my room stays at about 75F with ease.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Grow journal update
    Beginning of week 2 of Sativa run in the LED System

Had these plants under the LED system about a week now and there is some good growth and branching going on. The internodes are growing as sativas do and i can easily see these girls doubling in size when it's time to flip.

I really haven't been feeding them too much because there is a lot of good nitrogen already in the soil, however I have feed them a little superthrive here and there. Going to gradually start feeding them with there A&B grow formula this week and probably have them in veg 2-2 1/2 weeks more before I make the flip.

yhgbiu41og3o4jbq.jpg
    ax3qiflmwwdru0kj.jpg
    6vlas1hc42igpkdz.jpg
  • pokesmot408
    great growth, doubling and bubbling man :) those plants got some real vigor to them. Keep em coming. But again what did you expect with Blue Dream and Sour Diesel lol
  • Tommie Trichrome
    UPDATE-
    This is the end of week 3, ill say 3 1/2 weeks cause it was kind of in between the week. I just switched to flowering on 11/28/15. One of my blue dreams is just running for the ceiling and all the SD's are about the same height. So to accommodate the stretch these sativas will give me, I figured it was a good time to flip
    rmrob45s5ifeenpv.jpg
  • OnceUponADime
    Got some stretchers, are those the blue Dreams creeping up on ya? have you grown these strains before, if not prepare for these plants to double in size and a long ass flowing sched.. but at the end its all worth it.. I like the setup BTW, is every diode the same color and intensity?
  • MOTAvated
    Killer..Do you top your ladies or let them go O'natural? Any plant manip? steering pruning needed? how do you contend with the vertical blades and the growth/branching of your plants, which look to be bushing real fast??
  • Tommie Trichrome

yes and no. I have grow these strains before, under HID's and outdoors, but always topped them, and LST'd and flipped them at a different size, but i do have a general sense for the strains. and yea i know they can easily double in size, which is why i chose to flip em when I did. I wanted taller 4-5' plants to try and maximize the vertical space in my tents and the vertical lighting provided by the Suncloak system. So I know every diode is at least 25+L but some diodes do visually appear different.
  • Tommie Trichrome

prior to using the Suncloak system I would top my ladies and do quite a bit of plant manip. but now, like you said, i let them go O Natural. I do this to allow them to continue their upward and stretching growth, which is what i maximize through this type of vertical LED setup.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    So here's the update for my Blue Dream/ Sour Diesel tent...

took the pictures 12/6/15
    there are a week into flowering and so they are stretching for sure. The SD's are stretching in uniform, whereas there is one BD that might have a taller pheno or something bc it wont stop stretching. so I had to manipulate it. These ladies are 4 and a half feet tall. vegged for a month and just finished the first week of flower.

73tlti1bfg84hbts.jpg
    hav0b6cci6fj00yq.jpg
    d2kb1flh187ci7ql.jpg
    hbfgmsyi2sdvwzsu.jpg
    k4i1amz1wi3cvsrs.jpg
    n875bliis889r70t.jpg

heres a image of the BD that's stretching. I just gradually tied her down.

No the flowering countdown begins. The pistils are starting to protrude, and in another week or so they will be everywhere. I can't help to be excited at the growth.

BTW I have used minimal nutes for the veg cycle, just a good medium base and micros and vitamins. I fed them a diluted mix of grow A&B twice in the veg total. I have since gave them a mini flush, and started feeding them a diluted ratio of pre bloom nutes and RO water.
  • DabsRx
    Those blue dreams you had to tie down look like they're going to be huge dude. you ever think of just knuckling them or super cropping them? might yield you more than just tying them down.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Yea, in the past I knuckle my plants, but when the stock are that healthy and thick sometimes i opt to let them keep on with their natural vigor rather then manipulating. I manipulate often times in smaller plants to try to have them reach a higher potential. but often if a plant looks really healy I'll opt to tie her down rather than knuckling her completely.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Heres a update

The ladies have finally stopped stretching at the end of the 2nd week of flower. I have tied down a couple of the main stems. The growth of these sativas is no joke. i alway underestimate their stretch when indoors, but a 5ft canopy should yield well. still got like 8 weeks left of flowering...

j1181bkewhj32k7m.jpg
    7hnaga5029orfwnx.jpg
    p9rij53afv7yture.jpg
    rsruk9t2w8uze5vb.jpg
    ugowqp7quaobm7cs.jpg
    5wwj1w74ohmtvzai.jpg
    4uips1084k9majby.jpg

Things are looking very nice! I can't wait for this to progress.I can already smell the blue dream's production.
  • DabsRx

IC..hmm makes sense. if you ever want to experiment, maybe knuckle one of those "real healthy" main stems and see if it actually doesn't produce you more than just letting them maintain their "vigor".

looking good with your grow tho, keep the pics coming.
  • Sensistar
    Did you use the same lights as your first journal, everything looks taller in this one?? the system looks the same tho..
  • Tommie Trichrome

Same power rails and design, however i'm using the 48" Suncloak blades rather than the 32" i used for the Grape ape indica run. same power useage, just longer blades, which i thought would be useful for the Sativa run..
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Journal Update

things are going good, been integrating new things like c02 and tinkering with the room setup a little. (a couple of my timers seem to be broken so I had a couple scares but things seem better). Yep I will post some pics soon, just still figuring out how to optimize my strains. The canopy is easy 5 1/2 ft tall and I was using 7 gal pots, which might have been a little too big, and i now feel 5 gallon pots are the perfect size to optimize a 4x4' area.

I underestimated the rate of growth on the blue dreams and some branches are the size of main stems. ( i was cleaning up what I thought was the main stem and i followed it to the bottom and it turned out to be another plants' lower branch protruding through another plant) I will post some pics soon. The yield is going to be great, its just cleaning up the canopy which is a little challenging due to the vigour of the sativas growth under these LEDs. since the canopy in 5 1/2 ft and there are in 7 gal pots the top cola canopy is all over my head. its a pretty cool sight to see a tent flowering and it taking up 3/4 of the tent.
  • Zanthyr
    Well props for going with 9 7 gal pots in a 4x4. that's the biggest i've seen with it so far besides just growing out of totes, but in those cases thy done have 9 totes in the tent, so props for the grow big or grw home attemp.. ;)
  • Zanthyr
    may i ask how much water/nutes you must feed them and what schedule cause they gotta suck up a lot of water..
  • Tommie Trichrome

thanks Zanthyr,

Yea that another reason I think i'm going back to 5 gallons, I have to feed them close to a gallon ea a day to keep em slightly wet, and with my dehumidifier and fans, the soil wicks its moisture rather quickly, which gets vented out. I water pretty much daily now. every other day in veg.
  • Tommie Trichrome
    So I know I have been lagging with the update, but I figured it would be ok to wait a little and post something with a substantial change. In just over 3 weeks since my last pics, the ladies have grown tremendously. I am just finishing up week 5 of a 10+ week sativa strains. My Sour Diesels are just beginning to get chunking and i can see the beginning on set of some more weight being put on, and my Blue Dreams are just making huge tops colas like the strain is known for. I got a good 4-5 weeks left and plan on adding the bud hardeners like overdrive ni a couple weeks. the room is starting to get skunking from the sour diesels, but the blue dreams are adding a sweet mix to the aroma of my room. haha my kind of aroma therapy...

c93mse300qurx8pp.jpg
    716fsb3bhpdf6hfk.jpg
    8gbhobv18jzec9x8.jpg
    erwimjz1wzzxjg7l.jpg

all in all, i'm expecting a heavier yield they my grape ape run, and still have between 4-5 more weeks of bloom before chop, so these ladies will still get heavier and chunkier. I'm excited. I will try to update pictures more each week since now each week there should be major differences...
  • Lumengineer
    What size pots r u using this grow?
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Here are some pics and a update.

just beginning week 9. I think the SDs are going to be yanked around 11 weeks and the BD possible after 12. everything is looking real nice, i'm just used to running 8 weekers, so this 10-12 week sativa business is really starting to drag on. but on the bright side everything is looking really nice.

fiq8pzc1p4i7a208.jpg
    8yn14xhwrxpxriz2.jpg
    l7nxsdzrftaqhqkh.jpg
    5os318p1gwhy4w3t.jpg
    ypv9mrqezas9ece0.jpg
    hbmdkseos7d87d1h.jpg
    so492fxyftbia74u.jpg
    z9dyhqtg4oqw99o7.jpg
    kq9o4e5umhhldq6g.jpg
  • Tommie Trichrome
    Just to note, the longer flower time (10-12 weeks) is a genetic disposition to the Sativa family, not due to the lights or flip/feeding schedule. I generally run Indicas which is why I am used to 8 week flowering times.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Share Your Grow Journal!

Create an Account and share your cannabis experience with our community. Remember pictures or it didn't happen!